Dreams and Synchronicities

Three nights out of the past week I've had dreams of Irene.  I can't describe how excited this makes me! Last night she appeared, and I recognized from my waking consciousness perspective and go so excited I woke up because I realized that I was having another dream about her.  My excitement was not primarily about seeing her, but rather that we were having such success just in appearing with each other in the dream world.

Talking out on the porch, I told her not to worry about me getting excited and waking up and not getting enough sleep - I can always take a nap or two.  Let's just keep doing it and I'll work out my end of it as far as becoming more aware in the dream and controlling my emotional response so I can help keep our dream meeting place intact.

This past Sunday I attended a Zoom group where the speaker talked about the so-called "Five Stages of Grief"associated with Elisabeth Kubler Ross, which was originally only intended to describe the kinds of grief a terminally ill patient went through.  It was never meant to be about the family and friends left behind.

Yesterday my brother-in-law came over - a very rare event - and we talked about not wanting to be resuscitated if we're in a situation that requires it to prevent our death.  Not because we don't enjoy living, but because we don't want to stay here any longer than absolutely necessary. 

Last night my son, daughter-in-law and I went to see a movie.  At one point a reporter announcing at an event introduced herself, "This is Irene ..." and then whatever her last name was. That was synchronicity #1.  Irene has done this a few times in the past to get my attention, so I stayed alert for synchronistic messages from her in the movie. 

Early on, the main character's soul-mate is killed. Synchronicity #2. He tries to kill himself and finds himself on the other side but separated from her by a barrier. In the afterlife scene, she is sitting in a replica of their apartment, but it is bathed in a kind of golden light.

He isn't completely dead, though, and is yanked back into life. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this in a superhero movie, and was completely not expecting it in this particular sequel since the first movie was really only about humor and violence.

Anyway, the "hero" of the movie is later talking to his friend about the five stages of grief and actually mentions Elisabeth Kubler Ross because he is grieving so terribly.  That was synchronicity #3. 

Later in the movie, there is a scene where the hero refuses to be resuscitated because he just wants to go be with his girlfriend. Refusing to be resuscitated was synchronicity #4.  He dies, and is able to walk through the barrier where all his wounds are healed, he puts his arms around her and asks, "Is this heaven?" To which she responds, "It is now."

Now, I wouldn't advise watching the movie for anyone unfamiliar with the character and the genre it represents because of the violence and dark, vulgar and inside humor, but the talk about grief, not wanting to be revived and the scenes in heaven (as a golden light-bathed replica of this world) were utterly out of left field in this movie and in the genre.  I remember thinking last week, knowing that we were going to see it, that there was zero chance of seeing any synchronicities or signs in it.

Boy, was I wrong!

Comments