Reflection On A Cup of Coffee

I had a new experience with Irene the other day.  I'm not going to describe it since it was very personal and intimate, but what I will say is this: I got a taste of how making love feels in what we call "the afterlife." It was completely unexpected and overwhelming.  There is far more emotional sensation involved, of a much more vibrant quality, than anything we experienced in this world.  I'll leave it at that.

What has had my attention lately is the coffee I set out for Irene every day.  Something to understand is that I make the coffee the exact same way every day, and the coffee sits in the same room in the exact same physical environment every day.  Same ceiling fan, same air conditioner, etc.  It sits on the same coaster at the same angle at the same location on the same coffee table. 

Now, if the milk I use in her coffee is old, that affects the drawings that appear in it in a predictable way - they get smudgier.  In the beginning - the day after she crossed over - what looked to me like a radiant, blooming flower appeared, which was part of a much larger and more amazing set of synchronicities and signs that followed.  Every day that same drawing appeared until one day, when I thought I had myself together (and had half-convinced myself it must just be the physics of the shape of the cup, the milk, the air flow in the room, etc. that was doing it), I told her she could stop if she wanted to.

The next day nothing - absolutely nothing - appeared in her coffee; it was just a uniform dark brown. The day after that, again, nothing.  I realized I wasn't yet ready for her to stop and asked her to please start making the drawings again.  The next day, the same drawing appeared again and continued to do so.

Over the past year, the basic, every-day drawing has evolved into something a little different - a little more artistic, but still what seems to me to be a radiant, blooming flower.  Occasionally, she draws something different in the coffee, like a house or a hummingbird head.  Here lately, she hasn't been drawing it every day, and to me that's actually far more indicative that she is actually doing it. From the same half-pint of milk, the same single packets of Sweet 'n' Low, same coffee maker and same can of coffee, same cup position, time of year, air flow, air temperature, etc., one day the drawing will appear after a couple of hours.  The next day it takes all day.  the next day, nothing at all.  The next day, a couple of hours.  Then two days with nothing, followed by two days of drawing.

It's really amazing to watch.

I also realized that the way Irene has always been able to give me signs and synchronicities have to do with things she loves - flowers, TV and movies, music, coffee, and cardinals.


Comments