Friday, April 28, The Dallas Cowboy Draft Picks

I woke up about 2:30 in the morning.  Wasn’t in pain, actually felt okay emotionally.  About 10 minutes after I woke up Ivori texted me saying they had been up all night trying to fix plumbing – something I remember Irene and I doing a few times at our previous house.  I decided I’d better put some food in my stomach and take a couple more pills before I went back to sleep, so I heated up  a tortilla, sat down and turned on the TV.  Right at that point the Cowboys were next in line to make their first draft pick.  I couldn't believe it and laughed out loud thanking Irene.

The pain meds  for my tooth seem to be dulling my emotional pain as well. I can feel it back in the background like a giant rabid bear ready to tear me apart, but it stays in the background as I function the rest of the day.  I pick up one of our other daughters, Freya, to bring her out  to the house for a visit.

After I took her home, there was a song on the radio on the way back and I immediately knew was another new “our song”.  By the time I got home, though, I had forgotten the song.

Gerra and Matt (her friend) got here at about 9 in the evening.  I told Matt the stories about the things Irene had done after she passed and went to bed about 11:00.  I woke up around 2:00 again but felt like I was having trouble breathing normally.  I was also really itchy, so I thought I might be having a reaction to the antibiotics and took a Benadryl.  I couldn’t get back to sleep so I turned on the TV.  I don’t know if it was live or a rerun of the past day, but when I turned it on it was on NFL network and the Cowboys were at that time taking their 2nd pick in the draft.  I felt comforted, acknowledge Irene's efforts and was able to go back to sleep even though I still felt that pain just waiting for me.  I was actually glad I had a tooth issue if the pain meds were keeping that mind-numbing grief at bay.

Comments