Saturday, April 29, 2017 Celebration Of Life For Irene

(5' tall picture board I designed and had printed on plastic for the occasion)

Today is the day we have Irene's public Celebration of Life at the elementary school cafeteria (which the school rents out for private and public events).

When I woke up I had dreamed of Irene and I had a song going through my head. While showering I realized it was the song I had forgotten on the way home from Freya's that was now one of our new songs – Reminiscing, by Little River Band.  Got it downloaded, played it a little but it was too emotional so I changed it to a metal rock song while I did some things around the house.  I have my media player set to random play and I have around 200 songs, and (now) 5 of those songs are our “Our” songs.  So the next song after the rock song was one of our songs; and then it played another.  I laughed at the end and said “Okay Irene, play “You’re Still The One” (by Shania Twain) and I’ll know it’s you.”  Boom, next song was “You’re Still The One” by Shania Twain, our favorite "our song”.  I couldn't listen to it all the way through but I acknowledged what she did.

When I write that I "acknowledged" her actions, it means that during my day-long, virtually every moment dialogue with her I tell her how much it means to me that she is doing what she is doing; I tell her how much I love her; I tell her how grateful I am that she is my soul-mate; and when those special "sign" events happen, I say things like "Oh, baby, that's awesome!  I love you so much!  Thank you!" and it's usually very emotionally charged with a stream of love and gratitude pouring out of my heart towards her and towards God for giving me all this support and confirmation that she is there.

We had her memorial/celebration and it went off great!  Much better than I expected. There were a lot of family and friends there.  Irene had a lot of very good, very dear friends.  I’ve depended on Robert quite a bit and he has been there for me every time. He and the other kids basically ran the event while I concentrated on keeping myself emotionally stable.  Afterwards the family and friends gathered at our house and I became so physically and emotionally drained that I went and laid down in our bedroom and slept.

Some time later I woke  up and remembered that Gerra wanted this little desk of Irene's to be her daughter's changing table when she was born (she's pregnant).  While I was cleaning out the little desk, I found another note on a a big notepad stuffed into it's drawer, which I guess was where Irene was figuring out what to put on a birthday card to me for my 45th birthday.  It was exactly what I asked for on the 27th.   I was getting very emotional reading and re-reading that note and went back to sleep and slept for longer than I have in years.

Comments

  1. On this day, I found the recording that Granny made, where Granny stated that her Mother never told her children, I love you. I believe that Irene wanted you to hear that recording. This day, was also the day a massive storm was supposed to hit the same area, where we were having Irene's celebration of Life. Amazingly, there was no storm, but a rainbow came out !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivori, that is ...ummm...interesting about Granny's mom. Maybe us siblings should listen to that recording?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment