The Truck and the Dream

About a year before Irene crossed over she got the last piece of her puzzle from the dream she had of us; the black truck.  She joked then that she must be about to die because "Now I have everything." I generally drive around a couple a times a week in that truck doing local errands like going to the store or the post office basically to keep it in running condition, but mostly to feel help me feel connected to Irene.  We were probably out and around driving together in that truck only two or three times, but seeing that truck parked beside my driveway is a comfort.

My daughter Ivori and my grandson Emanuel were over yesterday, and Emanuel asked about the truck.  I knew what he was getting at - he just got his driver's license.  I know he and Irene had talked about the truck; she and I had talked about it and that if things went that way, he should get to drive it if he still wanted it.

However, shortly after she died someone brought it up and I said that I was more likely to sell my car than get rid of that truck, so forget about it.  I was going to keep it as long as possible.  Something told me to at least consider it, though, before turning him down outright - I think it was probably Irene.

Later in the day during a conversation with her I told that I didn't know if I could let the truck go, and she said I was being silly. I told her, "Fine. I will let Emanuel have that truck when you come see me face to face and tell me to let him have it.  Those are the conditions."  She joked that I was blackmailing her and I agreed, but that it was the only way I'd agree to it so I could be certain it was her telling me to let it go.

Last night I dreamt that some friends (in the dream - never met them in real life) and I were looking to buy some used vehicles for a couple of friends that didn't have any transportation.  Apparently I was the money man and we were looking around in some small town for people that were selling good, working vehicles cheap.  We found a couple parked on a corner with a sign that had the address of the house, which was right down the street.  We went down there and my friends hung back while I walked up to the property.

In the yard at the crest of the small hill that curved up from the sidewalk were two big stuffed animals. In the dream they were somehow symbolic of the vehicles I was going to buy. One was smaller and white, the other larger and black.  Someone in the yard called the owner out.  When she came out, I was immediately struck by how much she looked like Irene. At that point in time in the dream I knew my wife had passed about five months before.

She came up close and we were face to face. I was dumbfounded. She looked exactly like Irene.  Every unique feature on her face was there to match the 35-40 year-old Irene that was in my mind in the dream. I looked very closely. I wondered if Irene had a twin sister she didn't know about.  She was talking about the sale and said it was $150 for the two. As I pulled out my wallet I said, "You know, you look exactly like my wife, Irene."  She looked at me and looked off and said, "You can come here to visit any time."  Her voice had a sharper country accent like when we first met.

That's when I woke up.  I got my iPad recorder and recorded my account of the dream.  I haven't dreamt about Irene in weeks. I had zero expectation that I would actually dream of her, but I can't try to weasel out of our agreement. I expect that dream was as close as they could get, dealing with my subconscious mind in a dream state.  I'm totally blown away by it.

I'm proud of the fact that I kept it together, though.  I was just amazed and happy, and still am. I generally do not remember my dreams if I have any. Wow.

Comments

  1. I did not know you hadn't dreamed about Irene in weeks OH MY GOSH !! Amazing 😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment